Friday, May 23, 2014

Aaron and laundry

Last weekend, for the first time, I got Aaron to join Matt and I doing 6 (typical) loads of laundry at the laundromat.  He has helped before but this time I set the expectation for him to put in a 5 year old boy's effort. 

The second we arrived, rather than helping, he ran straight into the laundromat, and then to the 2 arcade machines.  By the time Matt and I got there with two rolling bins full of clothes, he had educated the 4-5 people there about zombies (one of the machines is "Pacman" and the other just happened to be "Attack of the Zombies") and that "they will eat your brains, but mommy says they are not real... but they suck your brains out and eat them...."  Whenever another person tried to say something, he insisted that "no, they'll eat your brains- they eat brains!"  He also made a friend his age, who thoroughly agreed, and they bonded over this zombie game.  They both looked at the game silently, and in awe (Lol!). 

So, Matt and I loaded the washing machines, and no matter what I did or said, I could not pull Aaron away from the zombie machine. He did put two clothing articles in a washer once, but immediately rushed back to the zombie machine and stayed there.  Because of time, I let him go. 

20 minutes later however, he was sitting on the bench by the zombie machine, alone, looking bored even though he was still watching them (gory game, where the player shoots the zombie at least 3 times and blood splatters all over the place).  All by himself, he got up, helped Matt and I unload the washers (fluffing each item that he pulled out of the washer), and helped Matt and I load the dryers, and later helped unload them and lay them flat so I could fold them. 

Wow!

He did a great job and followed my directions, after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment